Montserrat Markou, MS., L.Ac., LMT
Montserrat is a the owner/founder of Alquimia - Acupuncture & Massage Therapy, PLLC. She is NY-state licensed and nationally board certified in Acupuncture by the NCCAOM and as a Massage therapist by the NCTMB. She specializes in Pain, Stress and its many disorders, Sports related issues, Emotional wellness, Women's health and Holistic Pediatric care.
She graduated from the Pacific College of Oriental Medicine receiving a Masters degree in Traditional Chinese Medicine, and from the Swedish Institute receiving her degree in Massage Therapy. She extended her acupuncture studies traveling to China to apprentice with Dr. Wang Ju-Yi, focusing on his unique style of meridian diagnosis and treatment. While there, she also attended numerous lectures on acupuncture and internal medicine. She has also studied, acupuncture, massage therapy and Naturopathic medicine in Europe where she was owner/director of an Alternative medicine clinic before moving back to New York.
Montserrat had intensive studies in western medicine which she integrates in her practice to provide the highest standard of healthcare. She has also studied with the experts in the following modalities: Myofascial Release, Trigger Point therapy, Prenatal medical massage, Craniosacral and Reiki, in order to incorporate accordingly into her sessions to provide a speedier healing process.
She has written articles about the positive benefits of Acupuncture and Medical massage and continues researching current topics related to Acupuncture, Massage Therapy, Fitness and Nutrition for the benefit of her patient's care.
Montserrat continues her effort to educate the community and help others through her professional seminars held at schools, medical offices and private community centers.
Mrs. Markou participated in the following internships/externships:
- St. John's Riverside Hospital (Yonkers, NY)
- Cabrini Hospital Rehabilitation Department (New York, NY)
- New York University - Women's Basketball Team (New York, NY)
- Safe Horizons Domestic Violence Center (Brooklyn, NY)
- P. H. Ling Clinic (New York, NY)
- Pacific College of Oriental Medicine Clinic (New York, NY)
- Wang Ju-Yi Clinic (Beijing, China)
She is a professional member of the:
- American Association of Oriental Medicine (AAOM)
- American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA)
- Health & Fitness Association (IDEA)
- Holistic Pediatric Association (HPA)
- Hoistic Moms Network (HMN)
- American Pregnancy Association (APA)